SPM 1200 MKii SILVER
A Hi-Fi World magazine 5-globe winner the new SPM1200 MkII has been described by Britain"s biggest hi-fi magazine as: "A winning combination of power with precision...the SPM1200MkII is an absolute ...
A Hi-Fi World magazine 5-globe winner the new SPM1200 MkII has been described by Britain"s biggest hi-fi magazine as: "A winning combination of power with precision...the SPM1200MkII is an absolute delight. Very highly recommended." (You can download the PDF review on this very page.) Much of what Chord has achieved is the result of using innovative, leading edge technology.
2 x 350 W RMS into 8 Ohms
2 x 620 W RMS into 4 Ohms
2 x 750 W RMS into 2 Ohms
- Output Connections: - 8 x gold plated WBT output connectors
2 x XLR balanced inputs
2 x RCA-Phono single ended inputs
- Dimensions (mm): - 420(w) x 140(h) x 355(d)
- Weight: - 18 kg
This, combined with enormous reserves of instantly delivered, precisely controlled power is what makes the SPM 1200MkII sound so effortless. The power supply rails operate nominally at ± 90 volts, well above that which most amplifiers can accommodate. This and other advanced techniques enables the ultra high frequency low ESR power supply to store a great deal more energy far more efficiently. Clipping is virtually impossible. Furthermore, compared to other amplifiers of a similar power rating the SPM 1200MkII weighs in at a mere 18Kg. Another new technique is used to protect the amplifier against overload, internal and external short circuits. The output signal path is totally free of any fuses or sound-degrading resistive components often employed for overload sensing. The SPM 1200MkII is designed to surpass the highest European safety and electromagnetic interference standards.
The amplifier sections are also highly sophisticated designs that make the most of the best high voltage, lateral structure MOSFETs available, 16 x 150 watt devices per channel. Combining the subtlety and musicality of a good valve design with the punch and accuracy of 'state of the art' solid state products. The result is a 'sliding bias' class A/B design with all drive circuitry operating in class A. At usual listening levels, most of the music will be reproduced in class A. Chord's no-compromise design philosophy means there is no better built amplifier. Individually hand-crafted, it is constructed to aerospace standards from the circuit boards up.
Now in MkII form, numerous engineering refinements have been made to the SPM1200MkII to increase its sonic performance, flexibility and lifespan. These include:
• A new front panel design.
• A new power-control and sequencing board.
• A new rear connector plate that allows for third-party power connectors and the use of new beautifully made, British-designed, heavy-duty, gold-plated, insulated speaker terminals.
• Refinements to the filter components of the subsequent amplifier stages, to insure greater high-speed performance whilst maintaining good overall stability.
• Internal upgrades including numerous circuit board and earthing changes. These were implemented to improve high-current power flow across the units and help extend the product's lifecycle.
• A reduction of the value of the emitter balancing resistors in the first long tail pair in the second intermediate stage of the amplifier. This allows for a faster overall response and improves the square signal performance of the very high frequencies of the amplifiers.
Chord Electronics started life as a manufacturer of high-end amplifiers with their first customers being the BBC, the iconic Abbey Road and Sony Music Studios and Skywalker Sound. From this professional usage, hi-fi enthusiasts and music lovers started to become interested, and so Chord Electronics decided to develop a domestic range which would bring studio-quality sound into the home.
Since 1989 Chord Electronics has been pushing the boundaries and creating some of the world’s finest professional audio equipment. Their product range has grown to meet the demands of the home audio market and now covers everything from headphone amplifiers to power amplifiers and a full range of digital-to-analogue converters.
Chord’s multi-award winning range of Hugo & Mojo headphone amplifiers/DACs have helped transform the world of portable listening and brought studio quality sound into the pockets of many customers. View the full range of Chord Electronics products below. Get in touch with our friendly team today on 01865 790 879 to find out more.